Medicine for an Ill Time

My research is deep into some tangents and though I have some drafts partly written I have nothing complete to share this month. However, I have been coming across many quotes that sing to me. I feel compelled to share these. They are passages that help me feel understood and pacify me in a lonely time. Also, I think some of these would make good tattoos. What do you think?

"If I had rhymes both rough and stridulous,
As were appropriate to the dismal hole
Down upon which thrust all the other rocks

I would press out the juice of my conception
More fully; But because I have them not, 
Not without fear I bring myself to speak;

For 'tis no enterprise to take in jest,
To sketch the bottom of all the universe,
Nor for a tongue that cries Mamma and Babbo."

This is from Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri who is a master of expressing with words his inability to express himself in words. Here is another example:

"I cannot all of them pourtray in full,
Because so drives me along the long theme, 
That many times the word comes short of fact"



This next one is from The Odyssey. When I first read this I felt momentarily as if I might not need to read anything else ever again, so complete and beautiful was the statement. 

"Leaving the waters of the splendid East, the Sun lept up into the firmament to bring light to the immortals and to men who plough the earth and perish."

My favorite Lord of the Rings character is Haldir (in the books). He delivers the pithiest wisdoms. The man is a walking proverbs machine. Here are some examples:

"Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the enstrangement that divides all those who oppose him."

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

And finally, a prayer of sleep as taught to me by Aragorn:

"Tonight I shall sleep without fear for the first time since I left Rivendell. And may I sleep deep, and forget for a while my grief! I am weary in body and in heart."

 





Comments